- Dates: May 5-8 & 19-22, 2017 (May 19-22 is sold out).
- Location: Canaan Valley, West Virginia
- Cost: 595.00
- Instructor: Joseph Rossbach
West Virginia is a mecca for nature and landscape photographers and in late spring the rugged mountains come to life with the blush of spring foliage and rushing waterfalls and cascades. This three day workshop will explore the many waterfalls and mountain streams surrounding Canaan Valley and Blackwater Falls State Parks as well as the rugged canyon overlooks and mountain top vistas of Dolly Sods.
Highlights include rushing streams, pristine waterfalls, spring foliage, meadows filled with early morning fog, two visits to scenic Bear Rocks to catch sunrise and sunset light, rugged Blackwater Canyon, ample field instruction, spirited critiques and classroom session's discussing digital workflow and processing techniques using Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop.
Day 1: Friday - Participants will meet at 1pm in the Davis Room at Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge for a 2 hour meet and greet with opening slideshow presentation covering the area's you will shoot over the weekend. This is where we will also establish a carpool for the weekend. At 4pm, we head out into the field for an afternoon shoot/sunset shoot.
Day2: Saturday - We will meet at least 1 hour before sunrise to depart for either Dolly Sods or another spectacular location. After sunrise we will spend a few hours in the morning capturing waterfalls and spring forests. Mid morning-afternoon break. Classroom beginning at 1pm where Adobe Lightroom processing techniques will be discussed. Depart for afternoon/sunset shoots at 4pm.
Day 3: Sunday - Same schedule as Saturday. Today in class we will discuss Adobe Photoshop as well as having a critique of students work from the weekend so far. then we will be back in the field for an afternoon/sunset shoot.
Day 4: Monday - We will have or final sunrise shoot followed by a waterfall shoot. The workshop will end before noon.
Recommended Lodging: Blackwater Falls State Park Group rate under Adventures in Light Photo Workshops
Difficulty Level: Moderate - short hikes of less than 1 mile with some scrambling down hillsides to reach waterfalls.
Nearest Airport(s): Pittsburg International (3 hours) or Dulles International (3 hours)
Directions to Blackwater Falls Lodge:
FROM CHARLESTON AND CENTRAL WEST VIRGINIA:
- Take I-79 N. to Rt. US 33 E at Weston. Follow 33 E to Harman WV, then take 32 N to Davis, WV.
FROM NORTHERN VIRGINIA:
- Take I-66 W to I-81 S near Strasburg VA. Follow I-81 S a short distance to the exit for Rt. 55 W. Stay on 55 W through Petersburg to Harman, WV. At Harman take Rt. 32 N to Davis, WV.
ALTERNATE ROUTE FORM NORTHERN VIRGINIA:
- Take I-66 W to I-81 N, then Rt. 50 W until it intersects with Rt. 93 W. Follow Rt. 93 to Davis, WV.
FROM BALTIMORE & WASHINGTON, DC:
- Take Rt. 70 W to I-68 W at Hancock, MD. Follow Rt. 68 W to 220 S at Cumberland, MD, to Rt. 50 W at New Creek, WV, to junction of Rt. 93 W to Davis, WV.
ALTERNATE ROUTE FROM BALTIMORE & WASHINGTON, DC:
- Same as above except stay on I-68 W past Cumberland, MD, to 219 S. Follow Rt. 219 S through Oakland , MD, to Thomas, WV. At Thomas, take Rt. 32 S to Davis, WV.
FROM PITTSBURGH, PA:
- Take I-79 to Morgantown, WV, then I-68 E to Rt. 42 S at Friendsville, MD. Follow Rt. 42 S to Rt. 219 S. Stay on 219 S through Oakland, MD, to Rt. 32 S at Thomas, WV. Take Rt. 32 S to Davis, WV.
FROM RICHMOND ,VA:
- Take I-81 to Harrisonburg, then take Rt. 33 W to Harman, WV. At Harman, take Rt. 32 N to Davis, WV.
FROM COLUMBUS, OH:
- Take I-7o E to I-79 S. Stay on I-79 S to Morgantown, WV. At Morgantown, follow I-68 E to Rt. 42 S, Friendsville, MD. Follow to Rt. 219 S through Oakland, MD, to Thomas, WV. At Thomas, take Rt. 32 S to Davis, WV.
Still have questions? Contact Us