Basics of Nature Photography in Charleston, South Carolina
Dates: April 3-7, 2016
Gorgeous beaches, enormous live oaks draped in Spanish moss, 1,800’s architecture, an historic waterfront, it’s no wonder Charleston, SC has achieved Travel and Leisure’s “Top Ten Best Cities” list 10 years in a row! Spring is quite possibly the best time of year to visit the Charleston area. The city bursts with color, azaleas in full bloom in late March and early April. Historic plantations and gardens offer endless possibilities for the nature photographer. Temperatures are warm and comfortable and the beaches offer visual euphoria at sunrise and sunset. This is a location not to be missed.
During this workshop, we’ll see and photograph historic Magnolia Plantation, cypress swamps and beautiful southern gardens, boneyard beaches, and 19th century architecture. The classroom sessions will provide the tools necessary to take the mystery out of digital photography and you’ll learn to take full control of our cameras in manual mode. We’ll take what we’ve learned and put it to practical use in the field every day, concentrating on proper exposure, depth of field, understanding and working with available light, and composition. No photo outing is complete without the editing process. You’ll learn how to organize and process your photos in Lightroom and Photoshop to make them look the way you felt when you first captured them.
Foundations Series Workshop Philosophy
These 5 day workshops are for the beginning photographer who wants an introduction to essential skills such as camera controls, metering modes, understanding how to read histograms, basics of composition, basic use of filters and working with light for best results. In our experience, most participants at this level are beginners to intermediates or those who have returned to the love of nature photography, but want a solid foundation in digital camera techniques and refresher course on the basics of composition and light..
Instructor: Kate Silvia
Maximum Group Size
Easy, flat terrain, walking
What to Bring
Sunday evening: Meet and Greet and Orientation
• Monday Morning-Lecture-Camera Controls, Exposure, White Balance.
• Monday Afternoon-Lecture-Histogram, Exposure Bracketing/Compensation
• Monday Evening-Field Session- Sunset Folly Beach South end
• Tuesday Morning- Field Session- Sunrise Historic Downtown and Magnolia Plantation and Gardens
• Tuesday Afternoon-Lecture- Depth of Field, Focus, composition, long exposure camera movement
• Tuesday Evening- Field Session-Sunset Ravenel Bridge
• Wednesday Morning- Field Session-Sunrise Botany Bay then to the Classroom for editing/critiques and Lecture-Intro to Macro Photography.
• Wednesday late Afternoon and evening-late around 3 p.m. Middleton Place.
• Thursday morning- Sunrise-Folly Beach, north end at the Lighthouse. Cypress Gardens for the rest of the morning.
• Thursday Afternoon-Classroom Intro to Lightroom and Basic editing.