Autumn in the Southwest: Zion, Bryce & Page, AZ
Day 1, Nov.9 - 5:30pm - Meet at Bryce Canyon Lodge.
6:45 – Dinner & Orientation
Day 2, Nov.10 - Today we will be exploring and shooting in Bryce Canyon National Park.
Day 3, Nov 11 - Today we will spend the entire day shooting and exploring Bryce Canyon National Park with an afternoon processing session.
Day 4, Nov. 12 - 6:00am departure to capture sunrise and early morning light along the many scenic amphitheater's on the rim of Bryce Canyon. Then we will have a quick breakfast before heading south to Page, Arizona. After checking into our hotel, we will head out for sunset at one of the many desert locations surrounding Page.
Day 5. Nov. 13 - 6:00am - Depart hotel for sunrise shoot at Horseshoe Bend. 9:00am - Slot canyon shoot outside of Page. 1:00pm - Depart for Zion National Park (2 hour drive). Late lunch in Kanab, Utah and then depart Kanab for Checkerboard Mesa for a sunset shoot. 7:00pm - arrive in Springdale, Utah and check into hotel.
Day 6, Nov. 14 - 6:30am - Depart hotel for sunrise shoot in Zion Canyon under it's towering sandstone monoliths. 8:00am - arrive back at hotel and get gear from Zion Guru for our Virgin River Narrows hike. 9:00am - Depart hotel for Temple of Sinawava and begin a full day of hiking and photographing the world famous Virgin River Narrows. 4:00pm - Arrive back at Temple of Sinawava and shoot last light/sunset in the canyon.
Day 7, Nov. 15 - 7:00am - Depart hotel and drive 1 hour to Kanarraville and trailhead for Kanarra Canyon, a scenic and tight slot canyon with many waterfalls. Arrive back to trailhead by no later than 3:00pm. Depart Kanarraville and drive 45 minutes south to Snow Canyon State Park for sunset. Workshop concludes after sunset.
The temperature can change quite rapidly in fall. It can be cold in the morning but when the sun comes up it can get quite warm, especially when the sky is clear. But then again it can change rapidly if it gets cloudy and windy.
So be prepared to both add clothes on and to remove clothes. For example one can dress in light sweatshirt, and a warmer pullover over and then have light coat with a hood and light trousers that is both wind and water proof. Long johns are very practical to pack. A cap, light gloves and scarf are good to pack as well.
The average temperature for November is 35F - 62F.
LIGHT WALKING SHOES/HIKING BOOTS
It is necessary to have good walking shoes for our field trips. However they should not be too heavy. That means that one is carrying extra load on each foot.
Sturdy hiking boots can come in handy for longer walks/hikes over rocky terrain.
Many people have started to use light walking sticks to ease climbing or walking over rough country. It is very handy.
RAIN GEAR/SPECIAL EQUIPMENT
We recommend having appropriate rain gear including a water/wind prof shell in the form of a jacket & pants. You will also need a pair of muck boots or hip waders for working along waterfalls, streams and canyons with flowing water. Cabela's Muck Boots Selections - Cabela's Hip Waders Selections
Feel free to purchase your gear anywhere you see fit. The links above are only suggestions to help you find the the appropriate gear.
GEAR FOR THE NARROWS
We will be renting equipment from Zion Adventure Company for our hike up the Narrows and the secret slot outside of the park. Average cost for gear per day is 50.00USD. Equipment rental includes canyoneering dry pants, neoprene socks, canyoneering boots, trekking pole & dry bag for equipment.
- Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO
- Metering and getting a correct exposure
- Histograms, how to read them, and how to fine-tune exposure
- Creative depth-of-field effects using aperture control
- White balance and creative coloration
- Creating perspective, depth, and a sense of "being there" in your photos
- Creating powerful compositions with impact
- Composing to control your viewer's attention in your photos
- Compositional Balance, Tension, and Visual Flow
- How to use filters to capture dramatic light or create long-exposure effects
- Focus Stacking/Exposure Blending
Recommended Lodging (Group room blocks under Joseph Rossbach Photography)
- Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel (435) 834-5700 Check in on Nov. 9 & check out on Nov. 12
- Days Inn & Suites/Lake Powell (928) 645-2800 Check in on Nov. 12 & check out on Nov. 13
- LaQuinta Inn & Suites at Zion Park/Springdale (435) 627-5280 Check in on Nov. 13 & check out on Nov. 16
The desert southwest is a nature photographers dream! Towering sandstone mountains, deep canyons, slick rock domes and the fall color of Cottonwoods and Maples. This photography tour will explore the best of the region including Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park and the desert canyons and slick rock surrounding Page & Tuba City, Arizona.
- Dates: November 9 - 15, 2017
- Cost: $2195.00
- Deposit: 500.00, non refundable deposit
- Limit: 6 participants maximum
- No included: Airfare, lodging, travel expenses to, during and from the tour.
- Included: Expert instruction & guiding, post processing tutorials, water & snacks, permits