workshops & tours for the adventurous, creative & passionate photographer
includes instruction, guiding & post processing training
September 27- October 1, 2018 | view other workshops
Autumn in Colorado Photography Workshop w Joseph Rossbach & Kurt Budliger
Explore your vision and refine your skills all the while photographing majestic mountain vistas, alpine landscapes, autumn aspen stands that cover the mountain slopes below snow capped and raged mountain ranges.
Southwest Colorado quite possibly could be the crown jewel of the Rocky Mountains. The area features miles of undeveloped, towering alpine mountains, winding country roads with awe inspiring views, myriad lakes and tarns and countless opportunities for intimate & grand aspen forest scenes. It’s also arguably Colorado’s best fall foliage hot spot. Our group size will be capped at 8 on this workshop to ensure an intimate shooting experience as well as maximize the instructor to student ration of 4:1. Join us for this 4-day inspiration packed exploration of this magnificent and wild region of the Rocky Mountains.
During this workshop, Joe & Kurt will teach a variety of techniques that will allow you to advance both your technical skills and artistic vision. We focus on a number of professional field techniques to help you create dramatic and powerful nature images, including working with dramatic light, including sunrise and sunset; the fundamentals of powerful compositions; and abstract techniques for creating artistic photographs. We’ll also teach you professional “digital darkroom” secrets and explore a number of artistic philosophies that will help you find your own personal vision.
The tour will begin on September 27th at 1pm with an opening reception where Joe & Kurt will deliver an inspirational slide show of images to get you inspired for your week of photography ahead. We will also be going over the schedule and logistics for the week and answer any of your questions before we start. Each day will include morning and afternoon field sessions at sunrise and sunset and beyond. During the middle of the day we will gather for post processing lessons, lectures and image critiques. The workshop/tour will end after sunset on the 30th.
- Limit: 10
- Cost: $1495.00
- Deposit: 30%, $508.50 (cancelation policy)
- Days: 4 days, 3 nights
Day 1: Meet and greet and opening slideshow presentation beginning at 1pm. Afternoon/sunset shoot.
Day 2: Sunrise/morning shoot (approximately 4 hours field session), afternoon post processing training,affternoon/sunset field session (approximately 4 hours in the field)
Day 3: Sunrise/morning shoot (approximately 4 hours field session), afternoon post processing training,affternoon/sunset field session (approximately 4 hours in the field)
Day 4: Sunrise/morning shoot (approximately 4 hours field session), afternoon post processing training,affternoon/sunset field session (approximately 4 hours in the field). Workshop ends after sunset.
* sunrise time approximate: 7:00am
*sunset time approximate: 7:00pm
Our Vision & Focus:
Joe & Kurt will focus on advanced seeing and ways to unlock creativity in situations that require conceptual and compositional ingenuity. In addition to composition and creative vision, Joe will discuss the best use of light and subject matter to create a memorable and publishable image.
We will focus on teaching a logical, effective workflow that ensures the highest quality for your work, as well an image archive that is stable, consistent, and retrievable over the long term, and that ultimately liberates rather than burdens. He will cover step by step the process from shooting RAW files in the field to optimizing the final image in Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop.
Workflow topics to be covered include:
- File formats for shooting and for archiving
- Exposing for digital
- Downloading for automatic image organization
- Proper file naming
- Cataloging of images: Lightroom
- Keywording and captioning of images
- The many uses of metadata
- Processing the raw file
- Using the tools in Adobe Lightroom’s Develop Module
- Color spaces for the best results in different media
- Creating panoramic images
- Color adjustment strategies
- Using Photoshop to finalize the image: dodging and burning, adjustment layers and layer masking, controlling luminosity and contrast, sharpening for output
- Tony Kuyper Luminosity Masks
The workshop includes field sessions, classroom lectures and ample hands-on instruction & critiques. As always, Joe & Kurt will be present to teach and assist students throughout the workshop.
- Small group of 8 participants
- Advanced seeing: Learn to find new and unexpected compositions
- Breaking through creative block and making great photographs in challenging situations
- Mastering a logical, efficient, and consistent workflow, from capture to final master image, that frees you to focus on creativity
- Ensuring the highest-possible final image quality
- Seven photography sessions, pre-dawn to mid-morning and mid-afternoon to twilight
- Constructive group critiques of participant work
Accommodations & Travel:
Students are responsible for their own lodging, transportation and meals. A block of rooms has been reserved at the Ridgeway Lodge & Suites, 373 Palomino Trail, Ridgeway, CO 81432, (970) 626-5444 or ridgewaylodgeandsuites.com. Please reference Joseph Rossbach Photographic Workshops or Joseph Rossbach Photography when making your reservation.